Military Discounts Local Info & Discounts Air Force Army Coast Guard Marine Corps Navy Moving Tools Military Education Center Military Travel Center Find Military Answers

 Installation Search

Tax Tips: Making a Move

Source: Fleet and Family Support Program

The IRS offers tips for taxpayers who have moved or are about to move. If you’ve changed your home or business address, make sure you update that information with the IRS to ensure you receive any refunds or correspondence from the IRS.  
1. How to Change Your Address: You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:

* Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package;
* Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;
* Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year;
* Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses; and
* Should an IRS employee contact you about your account, you may be able to verbally provide a change of address.

2. Notify the Post Office: If you change your address after you’ve filed your return, don’t forget to notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.


3. Estimated Tax Payments: If you make estimated tax payments throughout the year, you should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS campus where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.

4. Postal Service: The IRS does use the Postal Service’s change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it’s still a good idea to notify the IRS directly.

Visit for more information about changing your address. At, you can also find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822, Change of Address. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). 

Related Articles:
Photo Information: Bahrain (Feb. 3, 2009) Legalman 1st Class Armelda Collins, assigned to Naval Support Activity Bahrain Legal Services, reviews tax documents for Information Systems Technician 2nd Class Franklin Hamilton. Hamilton is assigned to Naval Computer and Telecommunications Station Bahrain. The Tax Center provides free tax filing services for service members, dependents, Department of Defense civilians and retirees. (U.S Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Stephen Murphy/Released)



More Great content:

Find Military Discounts in your community

You have Questions? We have MilitaryAvenue Answers!

Our Letters to You,'s Military Family Blog

Subscribe to MilitaryAvenue Alerts, monthly military-discounts & incentives right to your email box: Manage Subscriptions

The Reading Room, full of relevant news related to the military family

Moving Tools, Our Moving and Relocation Tools for Military Families



Proud Sponsors

My Account

Social Media
* Share This Article  
* The appearance of hyperlinks to other sites does not constitute endorsement by of that site or the information, products or services contained therein.

Military Tools