Military Discounts Local Info & Discounts Air Force Army Coast Guard Marine Corps Navy Moving Tools Military Education Center Military Travel Center Find Military Answers

 Installation Search


Dislocation Allowance

Service members receive a dislocation allowance when they relocate because other allowances usually fall short of the full cost of moving. In general, it is paid once per PCS move and may be paid in advance.
DLA is based on your grade and dependency status on the PCS travel order effective date. The current rate information can be found here:
There are four cases when the allowance is not available to service members.
  1. From home to your first duty station.
  2. When assigned to government quarters, without family members, at new duty station.
  3. When transferred to a nearby duty station, unless a local move of household goods has been pre-authorized.
  4. When separating or retiring from the military.
The dislocation allowance may be authorized without a PCS in certain cases, such as proximity moves directed by the government.   So, for example, if you are moving because of housing privatization then you may be eligible for DLA.

Related Links:
Related Articles:



Proud Sponsors

My Account

Social Media
* Share This Article  
* The appearance of hyperlinks to other sites does not constitute endorsement by of that site or the information, products or services contained therein.

Military Tools